Donald M. Thompson - Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning


Income Splitting

Sometimes it is possible to shift income within a family from someone in a higher tax bracket to someone in a lower bracket. This is difficult with children under 14 since their unearned income (except for the first $1600) is taxed at their parent's tax rates. However, not all children are under 14. Basically income is split by giving property to children. Thereafter the income from it belongs to the children. Interests in family businesses or farms are ideal. Gifts of cash work too if available. Employing your children also is a good way to shift income to them. However, they must actually work and the pay cannot exceed a reasonable amount for what they do.

|| Back to List of Topics ||
See My Probate Web Site ||
See My Business Law Web Site || See My Securities Arbitration Web Site ||

Donald M. Thompson * 55 W. Monroe #3950; Chicago, IL 60603
Ph: 312-782-0844 * Fax: 312-201-1436 * Email: