Donald M. Thompson - Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning


Small Estate Affidavit

What if you forget minor items of property or it is not convenient to transfer all your property such as your checking account or car? $100,000 or less of personal property can be transferred to your heirs or the beneficiaries of your will without probate by means of a small estate affidavit. This is an affidavit by a survivor which states what property is in your estate (outside the trust or without beneficiary designation), what debts still must be paid, and who is entitled to the property. This authorizes banks and others to release the property to the persons indicated in the affidavit without court intervention.

|| Back to List of Topics ||
See My Probate Web Site ||
See My Business Law Web Site || See My Securities Arbitration Web Site ||

Donald M. Thompson * 55 W. Monroe #3950; Chicago, IL 60603
Ph: 312-782-0844 * Fax: 312-201-1436 * Email: